Friday 27 March 2009

Nice Ride

And so it began. A nine hour flight in 'cosy' seating featuring a molten centre of the earth hot BBQ chicken and wedges as the main in-flight meal. It may have been sun hot but it wasn't bad I suppose. The kids were both well behaved and seemed to take the flight in their stride. I'm not quite sure how I managed though with broken sound on my audio connection thingy - meaning I watched no films at all. I couldn't even make it past page 10 of my recommended Piers Morgan 'The Insider' book. What's wrong with me? (please keep those thoughts to yourself). We landed a little early at 6pm US time, got through the US super scary finger print and retina scanning commandos pretty fast. Collected luggage and then arrived in the Worst Queue Known To Man (tm). Some might say that lining up for all our rides today would be worse but oh no. There were approximately twenty Dollar Rent-A-Car desks and only four people working. I was in a queue with a lot of tired and increasingly annoyed people. After a forty five minute wait, with me nearly crying with exhausted jet lagged anger, we finally collected my ride.

I was advised not to accept the standard car given so went for a Chrysler 300C which is quite a beast compared the the Montego-like car we had included in the holiday. And oh what a beauty she is - like a silver...erm.. silver car thing. It was odd being much too tired, driving on the wrong side of the road, sitting on the wrong side of the car, at night but we managed to get from airport to hotel in about twenty five minutes. By the time we unpacked, got a pizza delivered from The Hut and all to bed it was about 10.30pm which was 02,30am UK time - the kids got a bit ratty towards the end of it but who can blame them?! I slept so badly (even though the room is huuuge with two bedrooms, kitchen, dining, lounge etc)and was awake from about 3.30am but by 8am we were all ready to go - to the Magic Kingdom. Considering it was a hot 84 degree Friday with large expected crowds we strategised well and got on a lot of rides - thank you Fodor's. Splash (twice) and Thunder Mountain by 10am followed by Magic Carpets, Jungle Cruise, Pirates Of The Caribbean (based on a film apparently, guffaw), Buzz Lightyear, Monsters Inc Laughter Floor (a personal highlight), Indy Speedway ending with the afternoon parade. I have to say that all the queuing was short, lining up was a pleasure and nothing and I mean nothing in comparison to the rental car debacle the night before. I bought the best thing ever - Mickey Mouse as Anakin Skywalker, oh yes! So exciting this is that I have sadly included a picture of it's Disney / Star Wars cross-over product wonderfulness.



The day was a lot easier than we thought it would be, the children had a really good time and seemed to appreciate it and take everything in. We ended the day by going to Publix (Florida supermarket chain) - it was awesome (too OTT?). So many nice things in such large sizes with huge aisles of processed food that it isn't hard to imagine why I feel so thin here! I will be going back soon just to browse the aisles of goodies. Am I mad? Am I sad? Probably.

Sorry about all the blank space.....

I will leave you with a snap of the kids and Buzz. Yes we queued to see him but again we waited about a minute. I would have uploaded more pics but this wifi connection here is slowww.


Wife fast asleep now and tomorrow we take on the Animal Kingdom.... now shall I go to sleep too (I'm so beyond tired) or go and guzzle some Florida OJ or eat from a half gallon tub of sweet sweet ice cream?


It really isn't a tough contest is it .... ice cream time!! Night all





No comments: